New Webinar: The Intersection of Structural Racism, HIV and COVID-19: Unpacking the Hesitancy Concern Vaccine Rollout, Equity, and Accessibility (June 14, 2021)Posted May 29, 2021
The Pacific AIDS Education and Training Center and the Denver Prevention Training Center present:
This webinar will examine the COVID-19 vaccine rollout response in non-white and disenfranchised and poor communities most impacted (Black, native/indigenous, LatinX, Asian American/Pacific Islander, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer communities). We will unpack the nuanced vaccine hesitancy conversation in relationship to COVID-19. Additionally, we will explore public health messaging designed to increase uptake of the COVID-19 vaccine in these communities considering lessons learned from the field of HIV. We will offer strategies to develop effective community messaging, how to identify effective community gatekeepers, and strengthen community messengers.
- Define and explore the nuances of COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy
- Discuss community engagement norms that impact access to COVID-19 vaccination
- Discuss the nexus between lack of access to COVID-19 vaccine and communities most impacted by HIV
- Discuss some of our challenges, successes, and failures in public health messaging inclusive of community voice
- Identify tools and resources that can be used to develop culturally responsive and coherent public health messages
Subject Matter Experts include:
Orlando Harris, PhD, FNP, MPH, Assistant Professor, School of Nursing, and Department of Medicine, UCSF
Michelle Haas, MD, Medical Director, COVID-19 Enhanced Patient Support Program Associate Director, Denver Metro Tuberculosis Program
Stephanie Syner, MSW, Government and Community Relationships Program Manager and Community Coordinator
Tai Edward Few, MDiv, Learning and Development Manager, Denver Prevention Training Center
This project is supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under grant number U1OHA30039 (AIDS Education and Training Centers National Clinician Consultation Center).
Subscribe to receive new resources in your inboxSubscribe